Tuesday, March 4, 2014

All Aboard the Bookshelf Express Part Two: The TBR Line

The other line on the Bookshelf Express is the one that fills me with shame, because it contains all those books I bought, but haven't yet gotten around to reading. Shall we just jump right in?

The first stop on this line is quite embarrassing. It's a book I bought in third grade, called Time Stops for no Mouse. It's by Michael Hoeye, and it actually looks like quite a cute, easy read, but for some reason I can never get around to reading more than a page of it, which in my mind doesn't count as starting it at all.
That's definitely the book that's been on my TBR shelf for the longest, but this next one is a close second. It's called Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. I think the problem with this book is that I got it when I was too young. It was a gift from my uncle, who is quite the intellect and not very good at giving gifts, especially to children. At the time I got it (I think it was fourth grade) I didn't even know what the words "pawn" and "prophecy" meant, so I put it on my shelf, and, sadly, haven't touched it since. 
This next book is just as shameful I'm sad to say. It's called Queste, and It's part of The Septimus Heap Series. I remember that I read the first three books in the series on vacation several years back, and I really loved them. So, when I got home, I begged my mother to let me buy the fourth book in the series, but when I opened it up, I realized that I had forgotten everything about the series, because I had read them at the start of my vacation, and apparently my little mind couldn't hold that much information at a time. So I never did end up reading it. 
The next stop is quite a bit less embarrassing for me, as I got it at the start of last year. It's called Here There be Dragons, and everything about it calls to me to read it. I mean, it's got dragons, maps, adventure, a great cover, an awesome title...what more could I want? I'll tell you what: bigger print. I don't know why but for some reason I find it very hard to read books that have small print, maybe it's because I'm myopic. Anyway, I tried to start it four times, and each time I got too frustrated with the size of the print to continue. That's one thing I really like about Queste actually: the print is huge. 
The next stop is some international books I acquired from my Australian Uncle, two of them by Eleanor Spence called Jamberoo Road and The Switherby Pilgrims and a third by Ivan Southall called Josh. Here's the thing about these books, they just look kind of...well...boring. There's not even a drop of magic in them. Actually the first two seem boring. Josh seems really interesting actually, but let's be honest I'm never going to start it before I start the fantasy TBRs. 
For this next stop, there's two books by the same name: The Alchemist. The first one is by Paulo Coelho. It was a book that I was supposed to read for school over the summer, but then my English teacher changed before school started, and the new one didn't want us to read it. I've heard good things about it, but like the others on this shelf just haven't gotten around to reading it. The other book by this name is by Micheal Scott, and I bought it from a secondhand bookstore very excitedly, because it said it was about Nicolas Flamel, and you all know how I love my Harry Potter. 
The penultimate stop on this Bookshelf Express line is a stop for the author Jonathan Stroud. I read his Bartimaeus Trilogy, not too long ago, and I adored it. So, naturally, the day after I finish I logged onto Amazon and ordered Heroes of the Valley and The Last Siege, also by him. I desperately wanted to read these books, but I got so caught up with school work and such, that I just kind of forgot about them, sadly enough.
And finally, my most shameful stop of all: The Classics I have yet to read. This list includes A Wrinkle in Time (I know, I know, who hasn't read this one?), Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, Around the World in Eighty Days, My Friend Flicka (I never did love horses anyway), and For Whom the Bell Tolls. 

So there you have it: a list of books that bring me unadulterated shame. Have any of you read any of these books?

Ah, well I think this brings us to the end of our journey aboard the Bookshelf Express. I do hope you enjoyed you ride, and please do travel with us again. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey :) Thanks for the follow!

    The only book I've read out of these is A Wrinkle in Time *hangs head*. But I only read it really recently because I kept hearing about it on and off and I was so curious. I actually liked it better than I though I would :D

    I will join you in shame because I have read barely any classics. :P Some Jane Austen, lots of Louisa M. Alcott, a couple Nathaniel Hawthornes, and a couple Robert Louis Stevensons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! It always feels great to know that people are reading my little blog. And I feel you on the classics. Sometimes I feel like I'm only reading them for school, and considering that I want to be a writer I always think that's not enough.

      Delete
    2. No problem :D I totally know how you feel because I had two followers for ages and nobody commented ever lol.

      Yeah, I agree. I mean, it's good to at least have a few of the famous classics under your belt. I probably should read some this summer :) *procrastinates*

      Oh, and I still can't follow your blog for some reason. I'll keep trying but if you want I would recommend adding the widget that lets people get your posts through email subscription. Totally up to you and just wanted to let you know why I wasn't a follower yet.

      Delete
    3. Wow. You are a Star! Thank you SO much. I really really appreciate it. I added the email widget and a google + follower widget, which I never would have known about if you hadn't told me thanks so much!

      Delete
    4. Hey, no thanks needed :) And today, of all days, blogger actually let me follow you with GFC. *shakes head* Sometimes I worry about Blogger.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks so much for reading my little blog. Comments are much appreciated and always responded to. Feel free to leave a link to your blog as well, so I can stop by.