Saturday, March 8, 2014

Understanding the Introvert Part One: When People Make Me Tired

Because this blog is about my life as an introvert, I thought I would do a series of posts called "Understanding the Introvert." I decided to do this, because I have a handful of extroverted friends, and whenever I try to explain my deeply ingrained fear and dislike of talking to people, the response I get is "your just shy." No. I'm not just shy. There are shy extroverts I'm sure. No, this goes a lot deeper than "just shy."

And here's why (reason number one, at least):

Social interaction makes us introverts tired. This is honestly one of the biggest problems I face. My school has quite a few...we'll call them 'peppy people.' These 'peppy people' feel the need to interact with those around them. For this reason, I tend to map my way around the school traveling through the most secluded stairwells and hallways. However, on the unfortunate and off change that I do run into one of the 'peppy people' here's what usually happens. 

Peppy person: Hey hey!!!!!
Me: Uh...hi.
Peppy person: I haven't talked to you in SO long!! Remember when we had all those classes together?!?!? That was SO MUCH FUN!!!! And there was that time.....blah blah!!! blah! blah blah blah!!!!!!!......And remember....
Me: (thinking--Can we continue this conversation on Facebook? Because as much as I really completely enjoy this, the truth is I don't at all. And writing would be a whole lot easier. Plus then I wouldn't have to respond) Oh... (forced laughter)(thinking--was I supposed to laugh there? What were we talking about? HOW DOES SHE HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY?)
Honestly though, the exclamation points in these people's sentences are almost tangible. They're so peppy and high energy all the time that talking to them is like running a marathon, because I always feel as if I have to reciprocate in terms of peppiness, and I end up running myself down completely in the process.  Afterwards I feel like

And the thing is, it's not just the peppy people. Any social interaction leaves me a little more tired than before. Talking to people is hard and uses up my energy. Then responding to people at all, even if it's not verbal--just a nod or fake laugh (god fake laughs are the worst. I think they might be my number one energy zapper).  And as the school day goes on and my social interaction count builds up, my energy level goes down. 


Here's a neat little graph to explain.

Usually I manage to squeeze out the very last drops of energy from inside me in order to make it through the school day and extracurriculars. 

But by the time I get home I'm a mess. 

And I just want to run up to my room and curl up in my nice warm bed with my lovely, understanding, silent computer to write away my exhaustion. 

But my parents have other plans. My parents want to talk. It's always "How was your day?" "Can you do this?" "What classes did you have?" "Is X in your class?" "Did you eat lunch today?" "What did you eat?" "Did you have any tests?" "What homework do you have?" "How long will it take?"

So you can only imagine that I feel like I'm in an interrogation room. Because I'm already frustrated and tired, I generally end up being quite snippy with my parents in response. Which, as you can imagine ends in a bit of a lecture about manners, which only runs me down even more, before I can escape to my room to finally fall into bed and enjoy the lack of people. 


5 comments:

  1. This is so true! :) Interacting with people makes me exhausted too, and I am so bad at small talk. *waves hands around wildly* How? Just how? I can manage talking to my parents, even though sometimes the questions are too much (especially if I already told them but they don't remember).

    I have a sister that I'm super close to and she's the only one I get talkative with, if you can even call it that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh my Goodness. I have been a bit sick with migraines, so I've been trying to stay of the computer, and because of that I never saw this till right now, but thank you so much! You are wonderful!

      Delete
    2. :D No problem! Hope you can do it soon as you feel good :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for reading my little blog. Comments are much appreciated and always responded to. Feel free to leave a link to your blog as well, so I can stop by.