Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Post Olympic Blues

I'm not much of a sports person. Actually, I'm the exact opposite of an athlete (is there a word for that? disathlete? nonlethe?) Basically, when I hear "sports," my mind sees this, and I start to panic.
 That being said, I love the Winter Olympics. I'm practically glued to my TV during them. My favorite event is Ice Dancing: I just think it's so pretty and extremely impressive. This year, in Sochi, actually had some of the best Ice Dancing I've seen in a long time. Meryl Davis and Charlie White honestly make me proud to be American. You can't imagine how excited I was when they beat their own world record for the short dance.
And Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir have the most incredible chemistry on ice. 
These are the reasons I love the Winter Olympics especially: the people. I love that in every single figure skating event you can see Olympian's passion for their sport. I love watching the relationships between a coach and an athlete (How cute is it that Tess and Scott have the same coach?). I love lamenting over the fact that my favorite pairs of ice skaters aren't dating (Come on Tessa and Scott, you obviously want each other). I love for once having something to talk about with other people that I actually want to talk about. The Winter Olympics is the one time that I'm not constantly "Avoiding Social Interaction." And then it ends--so suddenly. All at once, there's no more Olympian interviews, no more skating on almost every news station, no more tragic, yet funny stories about reporters with pink eye in both their eyes (I'm looking at you Bob Costas), no more Jamaican Bobsledding, no more reasons to talk to people. Just like that it disappears, leaving me in a state of utter withdrawal. 

And so while I'd love to say that I have better things to do than spend all my free time watching clips of my favorite moments from Sochi 2014, and obsessivley checking Olympians facebooks and twitters, I can't, because I really do miss the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks so much for reading my little blog. Comments are much appreciated and always responded to. Feel free to leave a link to your blog as well, so I can stop by.