Friday, March 7, 2014

New Glasses

A couple of months ago, my glasses broke. I had put them on the floor next to me while I was doing homework, and when I picked them up the arm fell off. I have no idea how that happened, but it did, and there was no fixing it.

Because I love to put things off, I managed to go about two to three months wearing old glasses. Not only did the look and fit horribly, but they also had the wrong prescription, and I wasn't seeing all to well. They were terrible, I had to squint in class, and they were puny little metallic-famed ovals, so I looked like Dexter, from Dexter's Laboratory. 

Finally, I decided that as much as I love not doing things, it wasn't worth putting up with those awful glasses, and found myself at the same store I've been going to since I first found out I needed glasses in fourth grade.

There, I found myself confronted with a dilemma I had faced many a time before: Which glasses should I get?

There I stood surrounded in a wonderland of frames, completely overwhelmed and not knowing where to start. Luckily for me, the sales clerk started for me, bringing me a pair of green plastic glasses.

Unluckily for me, those glasses were the exact same ones I had broken just a couple months earlier, and I was ready for a change.

So I dauntlessly made my way over to the racks and racks of glasses, combing through each one ever so carefully, hoping to find the perfect pair. I tried on countless pairs of glasses. Metal frames, plastic frames, pink frames, black frames, frames that were too big for my face, and frames that were too small. You don't even want to know how many pairs of hipster glasses I tried on. And I didn't even want hipster glasses! But it seems like every glasses store is completely filled with them. Finally after hours of searching (yes hours. I can be err... indecisive) and  probably trying on every pair in the shop, I found the perfect pair.

I was so excited about this pair. In fact, I was convinced that they were the best pair I had bought to date, and I hurriedly placed my order and handed over my prescription not being able to wait for them to be ready.

As I waited, I told everyone about them (and considering I don't love talking to people that's saying something). I described them as the perfect glasses. I even think that at one point I might have vowed never to buy another pair again, they were that great. I simply couldn't wait to show them off.

So, when I finally got the call letting me know that they were ready to pick up, I was on my way to the glasses store before the person on the other end of the line had even finished talking. I excitedly wore my new glasses home with plans to show everyone I knew how cool they were.

Alas, I was on my way home when I caught my reflection in a shop window. And that's when I realized it: my perfect glasses were hipster glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks so much for reading my little blog. Comments are much appreciated and always responded to. Feel free to leave a link to your blog as well, so I can stop by.